How to Find the Ideal Waterproofing System
Foundation waterproofing is an essential part of foundation maintenance for any home. A waterproofing system for your foundation can help protect your home from water damage and save you money in the long run. That said, how do you choose the right foundation waterproofing system?
First, it’s important to assess your needs based on the environment around your house. If you live in a wet climate with heavy rains and potential flooding, then waterproofing solutions such as exterior membranes are likely to be necessary. On the other hand, if you live in a drier area then interior drains and sump pumps may be enough to keep water away from your foundation.
Here are some factors to keep in mind while choosing a suitable foundation waterproofing system:
- Climate: The climate of your locality is an essential factor in deciding the most appropriate waterproofing system for you. In places with heavy rain accumulation or higher water levels, a more resilient and sturdy waterproofing arrangement must be used compared to parts that are dryer.
- Soil Type: The soil type on which your foundation is constructed can have a huge influence over the waterproofing system you require. For instance, when clay soil shifts with fluctuating moisture levels it puts increased pressure on both the base and waterproofing components. Thus, choosing an appropriate water-resistant solution for clay soils should be of utmost priority.
- Building Materials: When selecting a waterproofing system for your building, the materials used in its construction should be taken into consideration. For instance, if you have a basement built from concrete, then membrane-based systems are typically preferable; on the other hand, breathable coatings could prove more advantageous when dealing with masonry foundations.
- Existing Damage: Prior to the application of any waterproofing, it’s essential that all existing damage, such as cracks or leaks in your foundation and basement, be taken care of. In some cases this may necessitate repairing the foundation first before you can apply waterproofing.
When it comes to waterproofing your foundation, there are several methods available. A few of the most popular systems include:
- Liquid Applied Membrane: This technique entails coating the foundation with a hassle-free, liquid solution and allowing it to solidify into an impermeable membrane.
- Sheet Membrane: For this system, sheets of waterproofing material are affixed to the foundation using an adhesive or mechanical fasteners.
- Bentonite: By swelling when exposed to water, Bentonite clay has the unique ability to create an impenetrable seal against moisture. When combined with other waterproofing systems, this extraordinary material provides unbeatable protection from leaks and spills.
To choose the ideal waterproofing system for your particular building and location, it is important to consult a professional contractor experienced in this field. They will be able to provide you with an optimal solution designed specifically for your needs.