basement mold

Improve the Health of Your Home by Dealing with Basement Mold in Sandy Springs GA

Basement Mold in Sandy Springs GA

How clean is your home? This is a question that every homeowner has a ready answer. Your home is a safe sanctuary to retire to after a long day. It is the cleanest space you can find and it helps you relax and unwind. Well, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) doesn’t think so. A report by the EPA says indoor air could be 100X more polluted than the worse air outside.

One of the most likely pollutants in your home is basement mold and if you want to make your living space safe, mold remediation is a good place to start. They say information is power and before you call a mold service, it is advisable to get more insight on the issue.

The Risk of Mold in the Basement

Mold is pervasive and exists everywhere. If your basement is leaking or has high moisture levels, these conditions will allow mold growth. The fact that most homeowners neglect their basements means what happens here is not easily detected. However, if you note a musty odor in your basement, it is important to call in a mold service for diagnostic tests and treatment.

People who suffer from asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease are allergic to mold spores. The fact that most of the air you breathe in your home travels from the basement will lead to health complications.

Among the health problems associated with mold include nasal stuffiness, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, throat irritation and skin irritation. If you have noted an increase in respiratory problems in your family, it is highly likely that you have a problem of basement mold.

Treating Mold in Basements

Now that you appreciate the dangers associated with mold in your home, it is important to immediately start treatment. This averts medical costs associated with respiratory problems. To comprehensively deal with the mold problem, it is important to first identify the source of water leak. It is only after repairing this problem and waterproofing the affected area that mold treatment should start.

DIY mold removal is not recommended because specialized skills and safety gear are required to avoid eye and skin irritation. A professional mold contractor understands the safety precautions to take and performs extensive mold removal and treatment of affected surface and items. They ensure there will be no further mold growth in your basement and you can go ahead and finish the basement for any use you have in mind.